California Bighorn Sheep Conservation and Tracking horse pack trip
- Learn about conservation and get involved in real projects such as population counts and invasive species management
- Learn how to track and spot signs of sheep activity
- Learn about the different behaviours of rams, ewes and lambs
- ride horseback along the same trails early pioneers once used
- Ride through wildflower meadows and to the alpine mountain tops
- Ride at dawn and dusk for prime wildlife viewing time
- Explore the power of a true connection with nature
- Develop new skills that empower you to grow and evolve such as horse care
On our California Bighorn sheep tracking horse pack trip, arrive at the ranch and enjoy lunch in our historic lodge. Then meet your horse, learn how to saddle, take a short ride to prepare for tomorrow and review the trip itinerary with your guides.
Early next morning bring in your horses, saddle your riding horse, learn to pack the pack horses then ride out to camp. Scout for sheep at prime spots along the way. Unsaddle and stake your horses in the wildflower meadows, cook dinner over the campfire and enjoy the night in your wall tent, allowing you to stay close to nature throughout the trip.
The next morning ride out at sunrise to check for tracks and scout for sheep in their prime locations. Learn about where to find the sheep and their behaviours. Return to camp for breakfast, or make a fire and cook on the trail. Enjoy a day ride to the mountain tops and learn more about the flora and fauna. Record every animal you see in our wildlife sightings form to contribute to habitat and population management. Some of the other species you might see include moose, mountain goat, grizzly and black bears, mule deer, cougar, wolves and eagles. Remove invasive species and collect data along the way such as grizzly hair from rub trees for DNA analysis. Return to camp for dinner, then ride out at sunset for one last check for California Bighorn sheep.
The next day, pack up camp and ride back to the ranch, looking for sheep and tracks along the way.
On your final morning, learn how to do bareback riding, archery and biathlon target shooting before lunch with a final review of the week’s adventure.
3 Steps to your unforgettable adventure
Talk with one of our mentor guides
You'll discuss the details & goals of your adventure
enjoy your wilderness adventure with us!
Leave the chaos of city life behind as you reconnect with nature and yourself
5 Benefits of Nature that You Need now!