Bighorn Sheep Tracking & Conservation
Horse Pack Trip Adventure
Where the ultimate wilderness journey collides with a battle of epic proportions.
Witness one of nature’s greatest displays, the Bighorn Sheep Rut, as you journey through the mountains on horseback. Our horse pack trips, which remove the barriers between you and nature, are the ideal way to experience the rush as California Bighorn Sheep battle for dominance on the ridge tops. This unique combination of thrilling mountain top wildlife viewing with extraordinarily beautiful trail rides truly takes the concept of outdoor adventure travel to new heights.
Ultimate nature experience
The daring battle for dominance that precedes the bighorn sheep rut is unlike any other natural phenomenon. This intense showdown, which plays out once-a-year on treacherously high ridge tops, definitely belongs on the top-ten list of nature’s more epic experiences. Witnessing the sheer force and deafening crash of horns as rams collide is something you’ll never forget. And, the journey to see the bighorn sheep rut is unforgettable, too. On daily trail rides through the pristine mountains of British Columbia, you’ll experience the diverse habitats and pristine wilderness that our bighorn sheep flock to. Once you arrive at our prime viewing locations, you’ll see rams rush at each other with reckless resolve, topping out at speeds of over 60 kilometers per hour. Every high-speed collision sounds like a rifle-shot echoing through the valley. The clash of nature’s titans before each bighorn sheep rut is the kind of rare, truly wild experience that makes outdoor adventure travel so thrilling.
Ride through authentic wilderness
The exciting pre-rut sparring between rams is just one of many nature experiences you’ll have throughout our horse pack trips. As you journey into the wilderness to witness the bighorn sheep rut, daily trail rides take you through rugged, forested pathways and over lofty mountain passes. At night, camp under starry skies and hear the sound of silence as you rest up for another day of amazing trail rides. With no artificial barriers or distracting excesses to get in your way, our horse pack trips bring you closer to nature than nearly any other form of outdoor adventure travel. And while the remote wilderness of our horse pack trips involves a good dose of dirt and unpredictable challenges, you will be rewarded with authentic, even life-changing, encounters with nature. And on our Bighorn Sheep Rut Expedition, you’ll get a front-row seat to the rams’ heart-stopping display of inspiring strength and fearless abandon.
Our Bighorn Sheep Rut Expedition is the kind of outdoor adventure travel that does more than fill your camera with photos- it floods your spirit with bigger dreams and grander possibilities.
- Ride through stunning wilderness to mountaintop lookouts for prime bighorn sheep viewing opportunities
- Marvel at the ram’s awe-inspiring strength and courage as they collide in an epic battle for dominance
- Experience the thrill of riding horseback through untamed wilderness
- Early morning departure from Vancouver aboard the Chilcotin Express Shuttle
- Midday arrival and lunch at the ranch
- Map Orientation highlighting the trails and territory you’ll explore throughout your trip
- Horse Riding Orientation- We match riders to horses, fit saddles, and practice horsemanship skills
- Introductory trail ride along Gun Creek
- Dinner and review of trip details with your guides
- Repack your personal gear into mountain duffel bags
- Overnight in ranch accommodations
- Breakfast at the ranch
- One-hour drive by truck to the trailhead
- Starting at the trailhead, ride horseback through stunning wilderness with an elevation gain of 2,500 feet
- Arrival at our alpine camp
- After lunch, keep your eyes open for California bighorn sheep as we ride past their mountain slope and alpine meadow habitats
- Arrive at a key viewing lookout and scan the ridge lines and valley for bighorn sheep
- Return to camp for dinner
- Relax or join your guides in leading the horses to their grazing meadows
- Overnight at camp
- Early breakfast at camp
- Gear up and grab your pack lunch before a full day of riding and scouting
- Ride to our scouting the terrain for bighorn sheep as we ride to a prime mountaintop lookout
- This viewing location provides optimal opportunity to observe bighorn sheep and their annual pre-rut fight for dominance
- Our ride back to camp weaves through alpine meadows and mountain trails, where we often spot Canada’s other iconic animals
- Arrival and dinner at our mountain campsite
- Overnight at camp
- Breakfast at camp
- Pack up and head back down to the trailhead
- At the trailhead, a vehicle awaits to take you back to the ranch
- Enjoy a farewell lunch at the ranch
- Depart to Vancouver, Surrey, arriving in the evening
**Please Note: Our trips are subject to the unpredictable weather and terrain conditions that come with a mountainous environment. And while we do our best to stick to the itinerary, there are times when the current conditions and needs of the group require us to adjust schedules, campsites, etc. This is part of any true wilderness experience, however, and we are well equipped to adapt the adventure to changing conditions.
***All our pack trips require a basic level of fitness. Walking downhill for more than 30 minutes shouldn't be a problem for you. Good footwear with ankle support is highly recommended.
ENQUIRY & BOOKING
For more information and booking fill in this form and we’ll get back to you.